SoCalSmiles Dental Office in Tarzana provides more than precision planning and skilled surgical care. Thorough instructions help you prepare for and recover from oral surgery. Here are some basic guidelines.
Procedure requiring general anesthetic
- Two days prior to surgery stop taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs, anti-depressants, anti-coagulants, and MAO inhibitors.
- Steroids and medications for cardiac and pulmonary conditions, seizures, and Parkinson’s disease may be continued.
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco products for 24 hours before and after surgery.
- Only clear liquids for at least eight hours prior to surgery. Avoid all fluids within six hours of surgery.
Day of appointment
- Contact our office right away if you have any health changes the morning of your surgery.
- Arrange for a driver to get you home safely.
- Minors must have a parent or guardian present during the procedure.
- Brush your teeth without swallowing toothpaste or water.
- Wear comfortable clothing and flat shoes.
- No makeup or nail polish, please.
- Remove contact lenses, dentures, and jewelry.
- Ideally, have someone stay with you for at least 12 hours.
Recovering from oral surgery
- Unless otherwise instructed by the dentist, avoid rinsing, spitting, or touching your mouth for 24 hours.
- Then brush and floss normally, but avoid stitches or implant sites.
- Have prescriptions filled promptly, and begin taking antibiotics and other medications as directed, right away.
- Over the counter analgesics may be taken as needed.
- Expect some blood in saliva for about 24 hours. Gently bite on a sterile gauze pad to lessen bleeding.
- Keep head elevated, apply ice packs, and limit physical activity to reduce swelling.
- Eat soft foods for a few days, gradually resuming a normal diet.
- Do not wear a night guard, retainer, or partial denture for at least ten days.
- Smoking should be avoided for at least two weeks after implant surgery.
18399 Ventura Blvd #251, Tarzana, CA 91356
Phone: (818) 345-5286
Fax: (818) 975-5083
Monday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Tuesday 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM
Wednesday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Thursday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM