SoCalSmiles has been improving patient’s smiles for over 40 years. We serve multiple generations of patients from young adults to the elderly. We are committed to providing a lifetime of optimum oral health for our patients and strive for relationships based on mutual trust. We only provide treatment for our patients that we would perform for ourselves or for our families. We measure success on the quality of the relationships we have, not just the dental care we provide. We believe that every patient deserves to be treated honestly and with respect.
18399 Ventura Blvd. Suite 251
T 818 345 5286
F 818 975 5083
M/W/Th 8am - 5pm
Tu 8am - 7pm
Fr 7am - 1pm
Imagine earning points for being a great patient and having a great smile! With SoCalSmiles, you get to join a membership club of lucky users who earn points for doing all kinds of awesome things. Earn points for being on time to your appointment, having good oral hygiene, participating in surveys, & being a great patient! The best part is that you get to use your points toward great prizes and dental treatment. The more points you earn, the more prizes you receive!
Dr. Anoosheh Shahkarami graduated from the University of the Pacific School of Dentistry in 2003. Along with completing her continuing education requirements, Dr. Shahkarami has stayed current on cutting edge technology, applying innovative dental techniques and materials to her practice of dentistry. She excels in Cosmetic and Restorative Dentistry, Dental Implant Restorations and Invisalign Orthodontics.
Dr. Shahkarami’s priority and passion is to take excellent care of her patients and to improve the quality of their lives while providing pain-free, aesthetically satisfying and state-of-the-art treatment.
Dr. Chela Altman earned her doctorate in dental surgery from the University of the Pacific School of Dentistry in San Francisco, CA. Upon graduating from UOP, she was elected into the Tau Kappa Omega dental honor society for her outstanding academic and clinical achievements.
As a distinguished clinician with over a decade of experience, Dr. Altman focuses on Cosmetic and Restorative Dentistry. She maintains a high level of excellence in her work, and strives to create a comfortable experience for each of her patients. Her warm smile and friendly attitude truly embodies the caring and positive atmosphere that is sure to be a part of the patient's dental office experience.
Dr. Chong, DMD, MMSc is one of the few dual Ivy League Trained Endodontist in the state of California. He attended the University of Pennsylvania for his dental studies where he earned his DMD with Honors. Dr. Chong earned his Master’s in Medical Science and certificate in Endodontics at the prestigious Harvard University.
Dr. Chong holds a faculty position at the University of California, Los Angeles where he provides clinical based instruction on root canal therapy and lectures extensively to dental students.
Dr. Chong strives to provide cutting edge dental care in a comfortable and relaxed atmosphere.
Dr. Natasha Yashar received her Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from the internationally recognized University of Southern California, School of Dentistry. Following her general dental training, Dr. Yashar completed her post-graduate residency program in periodontology at the University of Illinois, School of Dentistry. Dr. Yashar obtained the highest recognition for a specialist in the field of Periodontology and became a Diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology, a distinction held by less than one-third of all practicing Periodontists. Dr. Yashar is currently an Assistant Clinical Professor of Periodontics at UCLA School of Dentistry.
Dr. Yashar applies her extensive expertise in periodontal field by providing all her patients with the highest quality dental treatment in a caring atmosphere.
A preventive program is a cooperative effort by the patient, dentist, and dental staff to preserve the natural dentition and supporting structures by preventing the onset, progress, and recurrence of dental diseases and conditions. Preventing dental disease starts at home with good oral hygiene and a balanced diet. It is continued in the dental office by the efforts of your dentist and dental hygienist to promote, restore, and maintain your oral health. Prevention also includes regular dental exams, cleanings, and x-rays. Sealants and fluoride are also great preventive treatments that help protect the teeth. Prevention helps avoid serious and costly dental problems and is the key to having a healthy, confident, beautiful smile.
Cosmetic dentistry is an aspect of modern dentistry that allows us to conservatively restore your teeth back to their natural strength and beauty. It also allows us to enhance the appearance of your smile by closing gaps, straightening crooked teeth, lightening worn teeth, and whitening your teeth for a more youthful, clean and healthy looking smile.
Some Cosmetic treatment included: Teeth Whitening, Porcelain Veneers, Invisible Braces, Dental Implants, Dental Crowns and Tooth-Colored Fillings. It takes years of experience and advanced training to be able to design a natural looking smile. Dr. Shahkarami and Dr. Altman are able to combine artistry with science to create a smile that looks undistinguishable from nature for you.
Did you know that having straight teeth actually improves your overall oral-health? Straight teeth make brushing, flossing and taking care of your gums easier. Many adults think that either it’s unimportant or too late in life to worry about straight teeth. On the contrary, at any age Invisalign can potentially help you avoid more costly cosmetic, periodontal and restorative procedures in the future.
Invisalign is the amazing technology that straightens your teeth with a completely translucent aligner instead of metal braces. Invisalign is perfect for adults and teens while being quicker and less expensive in many cases than traditional braces.
The term “periodontics” refers to the dental specialty that pertains to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of periodontal disease that affects the gums and jawbone. Gum disease is a major cause of tooth loss in adult which is why our goal is to recognize and treat periodontal disease in the early stages.
Research is also pointing to possible health effects of periodontal diseases that go well beyond your mouth. Studies are ongoing determining the relationship between periodontal disease and: increased risk of heart attack or stroke; increased risk of delivering pre-term, low birth-weight babies and difficulty controlling blood sugar levels in people with diabetes.
Your smile should last a lifetime. With dental implants from SoCalSmiles Dental Office, it will. Dental implants are changing the way people live. They are designed to provide a foundation for replacement teeth which look, feel, and function like natural teeth. People who have lost teeth regain the ability to virtually eat anything, knowing that their teeth appear natural, facial contours and adjacent teeth will be preserved. Patients with dental implants can smile with confidence.
Endodontic treatment is needed when the nerve of a tooth is affected by decay or infection. If pulp inflammation or infection is left untreated, it can cause pain or lead to an abscess, swelling that may spread to other areas, bone loss around the tip of the root and drainage problems extending outward from the root.
There is a stigma that root canal treatment is a painful and excruciating procedure. But, the truth is that with modern technologies and anesthetics, root canal treatment today is virtually painless and in fact alleviates the existing discomfort cause by the infection.
September 1, 2014
If you have sensitive teeth, our Tarzana dentist office is well equipped to treat them. We understand that living with sensitive teeth can make it difficult to spend time with family and friends doing the simplest of activities. Going to the county fair and eating an ice cream cone may cause pain, lunch with friends may make your teeth hurt, and eating kettle corn at the big game may no longer be an option. Fortunately, there is no need to live like this. Your teeth can feel better quickly, after having your tooth sensitivity treated in our dental office.
There are multiple ways that we treat sensitive teeth, but first we need to identify what the problem is. We recommend that you schedule a dental exam and teeth cleaning right away so that we can inspect your teeth and gums and remove any bacteria that we find. This will often help your teeth to feel better since bacteria can irritate them. We will also look for any other oral health issues that may be causing pain.
One of the common reasons people experience tooth pain is because their tooth is damaged in some way. It is easy to accidentally crack your tooth without realizing it. Playing sports, for example, leads to millions of tooth injuries and eating a hard piece of ice can crack a tooth, creating the need for a repair. When this happens to you, we can fix your damaged tooth and eliminate the pain by using a dental veneer or dental crown to restore and strengthen it. When you visit our Tarzana dentist office, we can discuss each option in detail so that you can decide which way you want to go.
If your gums are infected, this can also create sensitive teeth. When gum disease spreads, it can make your gums recede, and your tooth and roots can be exposed in the process. This can be painful in and of itself, but it also creates the risk of an infection developing as bacteria starts to attack your teeth. Gum disease can lead to bone loss so this is a major health risk in addition to causing pain. We can remove the bacteria that are creating the condition and perform a gum graft if necessary for protecting your teeth.
We can also treat cavities in our Tarzana dentist office, so if your tooth is infected we can provide relief. By treating the infection and using a filling or dental crown, we can protect the tooth and prevent you from experiencing any further pain. This is important to do right away before the cavity becomes bigger.
When none of these issues is to blame, we recommend that patients visit our Tarzana dentist office to see if they have lost a portion of their enamel. This is the hard, outer layer of the tooth and protects it from the elements. Underneath is dentin, and dentin contains a bunch of little pores with nerve endings in them. This way when you eat, pain signals are sent to the brain. We treat this by performing a bonding procedure, using sealant or a dental crown.
All of these options work well and can stop the pain you are experiencing. To learn more and to get help, schedule an appointment with our office.
October 23, 2014
Fall is here and now is an excellent time to visit the dentist for a bi-annual teeth cleaning. We recommend that all of our patients, young and old, have their teeth cleaned and examined at least twice a year. This way we can remove plaque and bacteria that can create cavities and keep you and your family in excellent oral health. It is easy to schedule an appointment, and this simple step can help you avoid toothaches and painful infections.
With Halloween almost here, many parents ask us if it is okay for their kids to go trick-or-treating and to eat candy. No amount of sugar is safe for teeth. It is important to either avoid sugary foods and drinks or eat them in moderation. While Halloween brings bags full of candy that can last for a month, it is important to help your kids develop healthy habits now that they can carry forward into adulthood.
As a local dentist, we recommend that you try the following tips for keeping teeth cavity free this Halloween:
- Schedule a teeth cleaning. Everyone in your family should have their teeth cleaned and examined this fall. Halloween is only the start of the holiday season which means that candy will turn into pies, cakes, and more candy. By cleaning teeth and treating any cavities, we can ensure that your family enters the holiday season in good oral health.
- Brush with fluoride. Teeth can become weak as acid wears away the enamel. You can strengthen your teeth by brushing with a soft toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. This is good for both you and your kids and will help to prevent your teeth from developing cavities.
- Rinse with mouthwash. Rinsing with an antiseptic mouthwash will kill lingering bacteria that you didn’t remove by brushing and flossing. Carry it with you and make your kids use it after eating a sugary treat.
- Throw a party. Instead of trick-or-treating this year, throw a party. You can invite your friends and family and provide a variety of healthy treats instead of candy. Have everyone dress up and play games so that the night is fun without being bad for your kid's health.
- Eat dinner. If you must go trick-or-treating, eat dinner first so that you and your kids aren’t tempted to dip into the candy bag to curb hunger. Eating a big and healthy dinner will prevent them from overindulging in candy.
- Eat a set amount only. Tell your kids how much candy they are allowed to eat and don’t let them go past it. This will teach them how to eat in moderation and prevent a sugar overload.
- Provide an alternative treat. Buy a toy or other gift before Halloween and ask if they want to trade their candy bag for the toy. This is a good way to get them to choose something that is just as fun, but healthy.
As a dentist, we want you and your family to live a life free from oral pain. Give our office a call to schedule your examination and teeth cleaning.
September 19, 2014
Cosmetic Dentist Tarzana
As a cosmetic dentist in Tarzana, we have a variety of solutions we can use to create a gorgeous Hollywood-style smile. If you don’t like the appearance of your teeth, you are not alone. Millions of people don’t like their teeth or their smile, and it can make a person self-conscious or insecure. We get it, and we are here to help.
When conducting a smile makeover, the first thing we do is meet with each patient to find out what they do and don’t like about their smile. We will ask you to be as specific as possible so that we can determine the best way to correct each problem. This consultation is important, and we will also evaluate the health of your teeth and gums to determine if you are a good candidate for all types of cosmetic dentistry or only certain procedures.
As a cosmetic dentist in Tarzana, we perform a lot of teeth whitening procedures. This is typically the first thing that people do when improving their smile because it is quick and inexpensive. Teeth whitening is non-invasive, and we can whiten teeth by up to eight shades in a single sitting. This will help them to look fabulous without requiring a lot of work or time in the dental chair.
After your teeth have been whitened, it is time to consider other procedures that can transform your smile. These may include:
- Dental veneers. A veneer is a thin shell that is made of ceramic or porcelain. It is natural looking and will match the size and shape of your teeth perfectly. By placing it on top of your natural teeth, we can accomplish a variety of things. This includes closing a gap in your teeth, making them the same length, covering dark stains, elongating teeth, and restoring ones that have been damaged. Many Hollywood celebrities like Tom Cruise have used dental veneers to create the gorgeous smile they have today.
- Dental crowns. If a tooth has been severely damaged, cracked, or you had a root canal then a dental crown is a good treatment option. A crown is a cap that can be placed around the tooth. It protects the tooth, and since it also comes in ceramic, a crown can look entirely natural. If you currently have metal crowns, we can replace them with ceramic ones so that no one can tell you had previous dental work done.
- Dental implants. If you have lost a tooth, you don’t have to go through life wearing dentures. We can replace it using implant technology. This is much better for people that are active because an implant will stay in place regardless of how active you are or the type of food you like to eat. A new root system is created that holds the tooth in place, making an implant incredibly durable. Make sure that you discuss this when speaking with the dentist.
As a cosmetic dentist in Tarzana, these are only some of the procedures we use to transform ordinary smiles into ones that rival the best Hollywood stars. To learn more call and schedule your consultation.
October 1, 2014
If you are considering a teeth whitening procedure, we are the best dentist to visit. We understand how important it is to have a show-stopping smile. People respond well to those who have beautiful teeth. In fact, a study conducted by Match.com found that both men and women thought that a persons’ smile was the quality they found to be most attractive. If you have a great smile, it could improve your social life.
As people age, it becomes difficult to keep those pearly whites sparkling. Drinking coffee, wine, and tea along with eating colored foods can all stain teeth. It is a challenge to keep them from becoming stained and it is even harder for those who smoke. Whitening toothpaste may help a little but not enough to produce dramatic results.
We offer professional teeth whitening solutions that can whiten teeth by up to eight shades. This is far more effective than anything you can buy in a drug store and will produce the stunning impact you are looking for. Here is what you need to know when considering this procedure.
- Professional teeth whitening is pain-free. If you have the procedure done by a dentist, you should not experience any pain. This is because we know how to apply the solution correctly and will make sure that your teeth are in good health before whitening them. However, if you purchase over the counter whitening trays, you may experience discomfort because the trays are not a custom fit and the solution can leak onto your gums.
- There are two main treatment types. When getting your teeth professionally whitening there are two main options to choose from. You can select an in-office whitening treatment that is done in around an hour or you can have customized whitening trays created by our office so that you can use them at home. There are distinct advantages to each option. They produce the same type of results but the in-office treatment is done faster where whitening trays can be done from the convenience of your couch.
- How it works. Most whitening solutions contain some level of peroxide. The peroxide penetrates through your enamel and starts the oxidation process which makes your teeth reflect less light and appear colorless. This gives the appearance of white teeth.
- How long it lasts. What you eat and drink makes a big difference in how long your teeth will stay white for. Some foods stain so if you continue to drink red wine, you will likely need the procedure to be repeated in a few months. Otherwise, some people only have their teeth whitened once a year.
- It’s affordable. This is an affordable way to improve your smile and is much less expensive than any other type of cosmetic dentistry procedure. This makes it a good place to start when transforming your smile.
To learn more about teeth whitening or to schedule an appointment, call our dentist office. We can give you the smile that you have always wanted.